Tuesday, April 25

The Scottish Highlands - Gairloch to Inverness




We had 2 nights in Gairloch and this is the weather we woke up to on our first morning!

It was exciting for me, as it was the first time I'd been snowed on in 10 years, and it was also a not unwelcome excuse to relax, do some personal stuff, and have a break from being on the road.

A Highland Cow







By late morning however, we decided to go for a little drive along a coastal road, and were rewarded with some amazing views across to Skye as the snow showers were chased by glorious sunny spells.
Highland sheep with Skye in the background
Gairloch





























           We'd had a fairly dreadful dinner at our hotel the night before, so we found a much, much better place to eat on our second night. The view was magnificent!

Our last day together on our Roadtrip took us from Gairloch to Inverness. 
We took a longer route, via Little Loch Broome and Loch Ness. 
A long, long day on the road, but well worth the effort.
On the A832 near Poolewe
Gruinard Bay
Gruinard Bay


Little Loch Broom
Little Loch Broom





Heading over Dundonnell Forest we really hit a lot of snow, and quickly took the opportunity during a short sunny spell to get some pics.....



And then some more snow showers.......

By now we were well past lunch-time, so "put foot" on the accelerator and didn't stop for much more.

We picked up a couple of sandwiches & fruit in a little village on the way to Drumnadrochit on Loch Ness, where we sat in a layby, eating our lunch and admiring the view.
Loch Ness

There was no time to do any boat cruises or walks, so we headed north again to Inverness for our last night together.

Inverness





3 comments:

Joyful said...

Glorious scenery. Are you still in Scotland? I thought you were there months ago and read (and commented) on several posts. But this post just came through my feed though it is dated in April and it is now November. In any case, I loved all the scenery. I hope you are well Sue. xx

Coral Wild said...

Thanks for visiting Joyful :) No I'm not in Scotland, but I'm way behind in posting on all my travels, so when I put this on my blog I backdated it to April.
Watch this space - lots more pictures coming soon!

Joyful said...

That explains it, lol. Glad you enjoyed your trip. I just read in your latest post that you are taking some time off from lading safaris. I hope you enjoy your break.